Consumer Protection Lawyer in Austin, TX
Consumer Protection Laws were put into place to do just what the name suggests: protect consumers. The law protects consumers from auto fraud, collection harassment, debt settlement scams, and credit reporting errors. As a consumer, you have certain rights that are protected under Texas law. If you feel any of these rights have been violated, Jason Katims can help. Call 512-900-9769.
Austin Consumer Protection Lawyer
Whether you’re tired of relentless collection calls, the credit bureaus won’t correct mistakes on your report, or you bought a car that keeps breaking down, a consumer protection lawyer can help. Your lawyer will fight for your rights, both in and out of court.
Lemon Law Attorney Austin, TX
The Texas Lemon Law applies to motor vehicle purchases. If a consumer purchases or leases a new vehicle that fails to operate properly after purchase due to a defect or condition, the consumer is eligible for relief under the Lemon Law.
The manufacturer is allowed a reasonable opportunity to repair the vehicle. “Reasonable attempts” include the following:
- The 4 Times Test. If you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair of the same defect or set of defects at least 4 times in the first two years or 24,000 miles and the problem is not corrected, you are eligible for relief under the Lemon Law.
- Serious Safety Hazard Test. This includes any life-threatening malfunction of the vehicle that impedes the consumer’s ability to operate or control the vehicle or indicates a risk of fire or explosion. If you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair of a serious safety hazard twice in the first two years or 24,000 miles and the problem still persists, you are eligible for lemon law relief.
- 30 Day Test. If your vehicle was out of operation for at least 30 total days of the first two years or 24,000 miles due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle, and you were not provided a comparable loaner vehicle, you are eligible for relief under the Texas lemon law.
If you qualify under any of the above tests, or if a different issue has occurred in your experience with a new vehicle, an experienced Lemon Law Attorney can help.
Legal Help with Collection Harassment and Debt Settlement Scams
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is a federal law that covers debt collection practices. It protects consumers from unfair, abusive, or deceptive acts by collectors who are attempting to collect funds. The laws govern the communications of debt collectors. The following restrictions have been put in place:
- Time and Place. Collectors cannot contact you before 8:00 AM or after 9:00 PM. Debt collectors are not allowed to contact you at work if they know you are not supposed to receive calls there.
- Harassment. No harassment is allowed over the phone or otherwise, to you or any other individual.
- Attorney Representation. If you seek representation by an attorney, the debt collector is no longer allowed to contact you. All contact must be directed to your attorney.
If you want to put a stop to the collection calls, hiring an attorney is the best course of action. Once your attorney is involved, all contact to you is cut off and the collector must communicate directly with the attorney.
Credit Report Errors Resolved
If you have ever attempted to dispute an error on your credit report with any of the credit bureaus, you know what a frustrating process it can be. It can be difficult to prove that the information is in fact an error, and then it can take months to see the correction show on your credit report. In some cases you may be told that the error cannot be corrected or even that it is not an error.
An attorney can help this process go more smoothly, standing up for your rights and dealing directly with the credit bureaus so that you don’t have to.
About Jason Katims, Attorney at Law
Born and raised in Texas, Jason Katims is committed to personal freedom.
In 2018, he was recognized by the American Institute of Legal Advocates as a Rising Star in the field of Criminal Law, and by the Association of American Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 40 Under 40. In 2017, the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys recognized him as one of the 10 Best Attorneys in Texas.